Friday, June 19, 2009

Ohio State University Football Cake



I think this may be my best cake yet. This cake was made yesterday for some dear friends of ours. The Candlands have a wedding on Saturday, so I made the cake for the rehearsal dinner. The bride and groom are HUGE Ohio State fans. This cake was so much fun to make, it really challenged my creativity. The cake topper is made of polymer clay molded around chopsticks (so I could easily stick them into the cake). After sculpting the clay, I baked it in the oven to harden, then painted them to look like they were all wearing football jerseys. Even the bride has a wedding dress "football jersey" on. The field goal posts were made by bending coat hangers, then dipping them in white chocolate. After they cooled, I carved away the excess white chocolate with a paring knife.
I also made "Buckeye" cake pops to go along with each slice, which are not pictured here. They're little round balls of cake, frozen, then stuck on a stick and rolled in melted chocolate and left to harden. I rolled them in dark chocolate first, then dipped the tops in light brown chocolate to make them look like buckeyes.

Here is a closer picture of the cake topper.

4 comments:

Claudia said...

WOW!!! That's amazing!

Rachelle said...

Wow Katie! You are so talented! I love it!!

Becca said...

That is awesome! Good job!

Ariana said...

You are amazing, Katie! Somehow I stumbled on your blog. I love all of your cakes. We miss you and your family here, but it looks like you're having a wonderful time in your new home!

Ariana