Tuesday, June 30, 2009

We Bought A Berry Patch!


We knew that the trees that ran along our backyard had berry bushes along them, but we didn't realize just how many berry bushes we now owned until they started to bloom last week. I'll try to explain it the best we can.
We have 8 acres of property. The front 3 acres or so is lawn and house, and the rest is trees. That leaves about 5 acres of woods, which we have now learned is surrounded on 2 complete sides by blackberry, red raspberry, and black raspberry bushes. We've been picking every 2 days and are in berry heaven. We had some friends over yesterday to pick with us, and here are some pictures. By the end of July I'll be a master at making berry syrup, berry jam, berry pie and everything else "berry." I should have my own Strawberry Shortcake name. Any suggestions? Frazzle-Berry? Dingle-Berry? Goof-Berry?
Here is Ben. He spent most of his time eatting instead of picking, but what fun would berry picking be if you didn't eat as many as you brought home?



This is our little friend Jessie. This picture explains where her berries kept going.
And I thought she kept eatting them!?

2 comments:

Rachelle said...

WOW! That's really cool! Enjoy!

Dana said...

Oh my goodness! I wish I lived on that much property. Maybe you should plant blueberries and concord grapes. My grandma had concord grapes in her yard and she used to can the BEST grape juice. I really miss it.