Monday, December 15, 2008

Ben's First Attempt At Cooking

I have a very independent, mini Emeril Lagasse on my hands. On Monday evening, an hour before Andy was expected home from work, Ben came to me with a box of Macaroni and Cheese and asked if I'd make it for him. I told him we'd have it for dinner (thank goodness I finally got the handyman to get our stove up and running just that afternoon). He seemed OK with waiting because he walked away and I didn't hear from him again. That is until I heard the microwave oven running. I quickly ran over to the kitchen and asked Ben, who was standing on a chair with his hand near the microwave buttons (caught red-handed). He said, "Me making Macaroni and Cheese!" with a huge, adorable smile on his face. I quickly opened the microwave door and took out the bowl of Ben's attempt to make his own dinner. He'd pushed a kitchen chair over to the counter, climbed up and took a small cereal bowl out of the cabinet. He then used the counter to open the box of Mac & Cheese, put about a dozen raw macaroni noodles in the bowl, then opened the packet of cheese and spilled most of it on the floor, and sprinkled the rest on top of the macaroni noodles in the bowl. He then pushed his chair across the kitchen, opened the microwave and put the bowl in. What I took out was burned, raw macaroni noodles sprinkled with orange cheese powder. Not very appetizing, but then again, it was his first attempt. All I could do was laugh and take a picture, then I immediately started a pot of water to boil for another box of Mac & Cheese. The positive side to his first cooking project? It can only get better from here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I absolutely loved this story! Can't get mad at that. Back in the day they would try to use the stove. At least the microwave is safer!