Thursday, November 13, 2008

Carpet Shopping or The Kennedy Kids Home Depot Experience




When I was a kid, I used to love watching those old Bullwinkle cartoons from the 50's and 60's with my Dad. I always loved how they gave two options for the title of the episode. One old episode that would be appropriate for the weather we've been having is "Below Zero Heroes or I Only Have Ice for You."



Which brings me to the title of this blog. "Carpet Shopping or The Kennedy Kids Home Depot Experience." Last night, Andy and I ventured out to Home Depot to decide on which carpeting we would like in our new home. Since Emily is not yet 12 and I gave our full time nanny the evening off*, we loaded up the mini-van and headed to the store. It was surprising to me how many comments I received about the number of children I have "Wow! You brought the whole family didn't you? or Boy-you have quite a few kids!" I actually have never thought I had that many children-when you go to church with the Vincents who have 9 kids, 4 doesn't seem like that many. Plus, I have a whole 2 years between each of my kids, unlike my saint-of-a-sister-in-law who had 4 kids in 3 1/2 years (I love you Megan-you're amazing!)



So anyway, we made it to the carpet section and finally found someone who worked there (I know, a small miracle). My boys were thoroughly entertained by the giant machine that moves the rolls of carpeting around. My girls had a lovely time choosing small 4 in square carpet samples to take home for their Barbie dolls, and Andy and I chose some really nice, squishy carpeting that passed the stocking feet test. Yes, we actually put a sample of carpet padding on the floor with carpet samples on top and took off our shoes to have a feel-it's the only way to really know what you'll be walking on in your home. We successfully chose all of the carpeting with only minor bribery of McDonald's ice cream on the way home, and one stop at the Christmas section to set off every musical/light up decoration they sold.



If any of you have never had such a fun experience at your local Home Depot, I'd be glad to let you bring my 4 kids next time to help you in your shopping. It will probably only cost you an extra $6 in McDonald's ice cream.



Until next time...

Katie





*Blog Note: Yes, you remember correctly, Emily is only 8 and no I don't really have a nanny (though if any of you want to suggest it to Andy, and I would much appreciate it)



I'd like to oppologize for any spelling errors in this blog. My spelling skills are nothing compared to my vocabulary and it's impossible for them to keep up.

2 comments:

MANDY said...

How fun! I'm sure your kids will remember being a part of the process that brought them their carpet, and maybe appreciate it and take good care of it?? (cross your fingers :) What cuties you have!

Pop Pop said...

Katie,

When you were Joseph's age I took you to a Home Depot and you couldn't understand why I liked it so much, I told you that it was "like a Toys R Us for Daddies". That you understood.

And please don't let Emily make that face again, it gives me the Hee-Bee Jee-Bees.

Love,
Dad